Sunday, June 16, 2013

Crater Lake


Well, it's been a little while since I've blogged, but there has been quite a bit going on. Since Sasquatch, I've finished college. That's kind of the biggest thing. Graduation is tomorrow! To celebrate, Paul and I took a little 24 hour camping trip to Crater Lake National Park. 


As soon as I got off of work from the farmer's market, Paul and I hopped in our car and headed south east. Eugene was terribly hot, so Crater Lake was a nice change. It was cooler, windier, and apparently two days before we were there it was snowing! This made for a rather chilly night, but with views like this I can't complain.


Paul recently got an internship with the Army Corps of Engineers as a botanist, so he was very excited about that lichen. And I was quite a fan of Wizard Island in the middle of the lake. This picture is less dangerous than it appears. Only a foot below the little wall I'm standing on is several feet of ground before the drop-off. The lake was so huge. The mountains were so huge. The drop-offs were so deep. It was all enough to make anyone feel queasy. But again, hard to complain. 


Once we got to the campsite, Paul started a fire right away. Besides the views and checking Crater Lake off my bucket list, the thing I was most excited for was the campfire. We roasted veggie dogs, beets, marshmallows, and a baguette. I loved setting my food on fire. I don't think it will ever get old. And I love the smell of your clothes when you get back home and they still smell like camp.


Just for fun, we made the fire really big. Not at all dangerous! But I think it scared away all the mosquitoes, which were coming at us in hordes. Funny story: there were a lot of mosquitoes. It was like a horror film. When we parked our car at the campsite, there were thousands at least ten mosquitoes dive bombing the window. So Paul had the brilliant idea of spraying ourselves with bug spray while still in the car, so once we got out, the mosquitoes couldn't attack us. Great one, Paul. As it turns out, bug spray is pretty much poison. So when we sprayed it in the car, it stayed in the car. The air was thick with fog-like poison, our throats were burning, so we tumbled out of the car, half protected, and Paul instantly got bitten. Note to selves: don't spray bug spray in the car. On another note, we had marshmallows! We still have some left over which I think will be turned into peanut butter rice crispie treats. 


This is what lay just two feet away from our campsite: trees, logs, grass, crazy blue woodpeckers. It was perfect. There were about 120 campsites and less than half of them were filled. We had no one else around us and it was amazing. 


 We had a brilliant time. It was beautiful and relaxing and perfect. Tomorrow Paul starts his internship and I graduate from college. Six and a half years ago, Paul and I ate lunch together freshman year of high school. Now we're here. What?!










Everything's been kind of crazy and exciting and new, but for a year and a half now I've had this blog to document all of those crazy, exciting, and new things. So if you're reading, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I always love reading your blog :) congrats on your graduation and Paul's internship! (radlikeunicorn on IG)

    ReplyDelete