Saturday, January 26, 2013

Adventure Day on Broadway


Paul and I have had a pretty fantastic day so far. We woke up and felt like going out for breakfast. There's this place in Eugene called Off the Waffle that's really popular and makes crazy liege waffles. Paul and I used to go all the time, sometimes once a week or more. But about a year ago I think they tried to change their image and it got less casual, more snobby, and just kind of weird and so we haven't been in about a year and three-ish months. However they just opened up a new location downtown close to our house, and since we had a buy one get one free coupon, we decided to give it another go. I'm so glad we did because it was delicious, even though they got rid of my favorite waffle. Just to give you a sense of how crazy the waffles are, mine had a fried egg, caramelized onions, a balsamic reduction, brie, and pears on it. We walked over to Off the Waffle in the rain, and I guess we were rewarded for retrying it because when we were done eating it was beautiful and sunny outside, so we decided to explore a little bit.


When Paul and I go downtown, we always go down the same street, and we never really branch out. We go down Willamette Street because 99% of what we do downtown is on Willamette Street. But today we decided to be crazy and go down Broadway instead. We found so many wonderful things we've never seen before just a block or two away from where we normally go! First we found a bunch of cute animal statues, and then we found these two murals on the same wall. We thought we had seen everything there was to see.


And then we saw this. This picture can't even do it justice. The mural was in an alley between two buildings. It was two stories tall and went on for an entire city block like this. I love it so much! It makes me love Eugene that much more.


Another reason we were excited to explore Broadway is that Eugene is going through a fairly major revitalization. So many new businesses are opening up, including two businesses very near and dear to our hearts that are opening their first real restaurants on Broadway later this year. What a great location. On Broadway we found a new bakery, a new cafe, and a new Barre studio. 


I understand Eugene might not be the most glamorous place in the world. It's small. It's a college town. It has lots of hobos. So many hobos in fact, that the Eugene Public Library (which is quite new and beautiful) has bad Yelp reviews (which is weird because I didn't know you could Yelp a library) all because of the amount of hobos that use it for its public computers. However, I think Eugene has quite the spirit. It's the little engine that could. It's Portland's hippie little sister. It's as weird as Portland (maybe weirder) without the snobby pride Portland has about its weirdness (see Portlandia for several examples).


Pretty much, I love Eugene, I may be falling back in love with waffles, I love this mural, I love Paul, and I love finally getting a break from school and taking an adventure day on Broadway.

1 comment:

  1. holy cow! that last mural is amazing. I would do photoshoots there constantly!

    I've been reading your blog for awhile but I'm really bad about commenting... (I'm radlikeunicorn on instagram) anyway, just wanted to say I love your blog. I'm not sure how I found it but I really, really enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete