Monday, August 27, 2012

San Francisco Days 3-4


The real part of our vacation is officially over, and the last two days have been intense. On Saturday, Paul and I got to eat lunch with his brother, Ian. It was so great to see him, but our meeting was brief because he had a plane to catch. He actually ended up missing the flight, so it was a super bummer. 


After brunch, we went to my uncle and new aunt's reception at their gorgeous new house, but we stopped by my grandma's house a few blocks away first. My other aunt and uncle were staying with her, along with their adorable daughter, Maeve. My cousin is the cutest. She was extremely interested in my rings and kept trying them on, giving them back to me, and then asking for them again. Kids are cool. The reception was cool, too. It was catered, and more casual than the wedding the day before. There were also about 80 people there, which, for smallish San Francisco houses, was quite the crowd. My uncle Conor even surprised my new aunt Stef with a jazz singer who they had seen on their first date. This swanky lady named Kim Nalley came and performed for all of us stuffed into the living room. What a treat! 


The next day, Sunday, was our last day in the city so we ran around and acted like tourists. We saw the Golden Gate Bridge, which never gets old. It was actually a clear day out, unlike the day before, so it was perfect for sightseeing.


I really should have thought twice before wearing a skirt by the bridge. It was so windy that I had to actively try not to flash people. Paul had so much pent up car fever from all the driving around (almost a two hour round trip into the city from where we were staying) so he was jumpy. He ran in circles a little bit. He fell on the ground. He jumped into my arms: typical Paul behavior. 


After the bridge, my family went to tour the USF campus with my little sister and dropped Paul and I off at Haight Street. There was a vintage shop every other store. It was very crowded, I think due to the good weather, but it made the sightseeing slightly stressful for Paul and I. We got him some jeans, and it was fun to look around, but I'm learning more and more that I don't like hustle and bustle. I like being in small groups. I don't like crowds. So Paul and I found a small cafe near this crazy mural and just got ourselves a cookie and a coffee. It was so relaxing. It was exactly what we needed. Just a break, just the two of us, alone in the cafe, for just twenty minutes or so. I'd like to spend a whole vacation taking tiny breaks like that in a city.


My favorite part of San Francisco was the architecture. I love the Victorian style and all of the colors. Almost every house looked like a tall skinny present to be opened. I also don't mind the fog! In Eugene, I'm used to the rain, but the fog was a nice change for me! I don't know if I'd like to live here though. The streets go up and down like crazy. I don't even know if I'd be able to bike on them due to all of the steep climbs and drops. On top of that, the drivers are a little reckless and I honestly doubt I'd ever feel safe biking around.


Although if I had a bike like this, at least I'd feel pretty snazzy. Paul estimated that this bike probably cost well over six or seven thousand dollars. Some people just have extra money laying around I guess.


It was a really fun trip, but I'm super excited to get back home. We drove all today and will get to Eugene maybe around two in the afternoon tomorrow. I didn't leave my heart in San Francisco, but I'd certainly like to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment