Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Bow Tie


In two weeks, Paul and I are heading down to San Francisco for my uncle's wedding. Paul lives in ripped jeans, sandals, and T-shirts, so we needed to get him real life adult clothes for the big day! Yesterday we went to the mall. Paul and I never go to the mall. In two years, I've been to the mall four, maybe five times. But we did it. And got him not one, but two button up shirts. He also wanted a bow tie, and convinced me to make him one. It took me a couple of stressful hours, but I made a bow tie all by myself! Paul picked out the fabric himself and it has sneaky black cats all over it. I like the black and white against the blue, and the little cat face glaring out from the bottom right corner cracks me up.


We've had the busiest few days. Yesterday after we got Paul's shirts, we went to see Moonrise Kingdom. While I love Wes Anderson, I wasn't quite sure how I felt about this one. I'm glad I saw it, and it was so nice to be in an air conditioned theater, but it doesn't match up to Darjeeling Limited or Life Aquatic to me. Maybe I was just missing Owen Wilson. Then we did the most intense yoga class ever. Then today we went to the market, bought fabric, and made a bow tie. It's been nice to feel so productive.


In other good news, I'm still in puppy love with my hair. With my old cut, I loved the idea of short hair, but didn't feel like it was done right. That probably had to do with the fact that for the eight months after I got it cut short, I gave myself little touch ups. It was basically a giant mess. Now it's all fixed up and professionally done and every time I look in the mirror I get excited. I think that's a pretty good sign, and Paul likes it too. 


In these pictures, Paul says I am making my "crazy eyes" and I guess he is right. I think I made similar faces the entire time I was making the bow tie. Cutting out the pattern took me forever on account of me being terrified of messing up. The sewing part went pretty well but I was so ready for it to go wrong that I had little mini freak outs. It was similar to when Michael Cera's character in Arrested Development does math homework and says, "dumb George Michael, stupid, stupid George Michael," to himself the whole time. At one point I forgot how to use my sewing machine and didn't know if the stitches went forward or back. I figured it out though, with lots of deep breaths and crazy eyes.


And while we were outside we had to take a few jumping pictures. I have a lot to jump for joy for: bow ties, sewing machines, vegetables, late night delivery calzones, sore yoga abs, and mohawks. Also Paul. He's a keeper. 

2 comments:

  1. i love that bow tie! especially since the kitties are so sneaky! i would never guess that is what it was from far away.

    ReplyDelete