Saturday, July 7, 2012

Busy Times


The last 24 hours have been enormously busy and fun. Last night after work, where I sold out of every single darn popsicle in the whole tricycle for the first time, Paul and I went to our first yoga class. The studio is two blocks away and they were having a really great summer deal where you could get unlimited classes for three months. It's something I've always wanted to get into and it was really fun. All of that bending and stretching actually really helped the soreness I've had since my crash. Today Paul and I woke up early to go the farmer's market. On the way I stopped to take these pictures of these pink boxes. They're a part of a new city project that is encouraging public art. This installment has 24 parts, each a traffic light box painted pink with a quote. The project is called Our Streets Eugene and these two students collected stories about places from 24 diverse people in the community, found the light box closest to the place in each story, and painted it with a quote from that story. They also published a zine with a map to all 24 boxes with all the stories printed on them. I think it's the coolest idea and the boxes are really beautifully done and certainly brighten up an occasionally sketchy and hobo filled downtown Eugene. 


At the farmer's market we loaded up on vegetables for the week and of course had to stop by Red Wagon's cart because I can't make it through such hot days without ice cream. It really is getting hot outside. I complained all winter about the cold and the rain, wishing for terrible terrible heat. Well now that I have it, I wish to give it back. Seventy two degrees sounds good to me, but I'm not dealing too well with eighty six. I wish I was a hot weather kind of girl, but to be honest I like wearing lots of layers, jackets, and knit hats and I certainly don't mind the rain as much as I pretend to. This next week is supposed to be in the high eighties, with no clouds whatsoever and I'm crying a little inside. 


Paul and I have been filling our cabinets and old glass jars with so many nice dry goods lately, but it was really bothering me how the caps to the jars were all different colors. I can get very obsessive over these kinds of things. I need things to line up; I need them to be symmetrical. I will go crazy until I make things just right. Paul says he finds this quality endearing, but I find it maddening! I decided to spray paint all the lids to appease my craziness and it was actually pretty fun. Several people stopped on the street to ask me what I was doing, because apparently it looked "very important." I'm sure that was just the polite way of asking why I was making what Paul calls my "crazy face." I consider this project a success. I got to be outside and I only got the tiniest little bit of paint on the grass.

   
Also it makes everything in the cabinet look much more aesthetically pleasing. I wrote all the labels on masking tape so we could take them off if we decide not to buy something again. My craziness extends so far that I have rewritten some of these labels several times each to make sure the handwriting was the same size as all of the other jars. I hope my barley and beans are happy, because I have put so much effort into a project that I end up shutting behind cabinet doors. Such is life.


Once Paul and I got hungry, I decided it was time to make gnocchi. We've made pasta from scratch before, not extremely successfully, and I've heard gnocchi can be tricky, so I was nervous. I wanted to make it with pesto, because our basil plant is officially an adult plant. There are leaves going in every direction, it smells heavenly, and I've been itching for an excuse to use it. These potatoes look like outer space to me. They are so purple and fun, but the inside is bright white, much lighter than a normal potato. We got them from the market today and instantly put them to use. While we were prepping the gnocchi, I decided to go all out and also make cherry pie with the Rainier cherries and new pastry flour we got at the market too. The flour is from a local family farm called Camas Country Mill where they grow the grains and process them into flour all right here in Eugene. 


Well the gnocchi turned out amazing. They were light and chewy and really cute. The held the hazelnut pesto well and we still have a ton of dough left to make lots more tomorrow! The pie was perfection. It was tart, pretty to look at, and involved so few ingredients. The crust tasted like the most perfect shortbread, and it was salty and great. Now Paul and I are contemplating what documentary to watch on Netflix and might spend some time by the river tomorrow, relaxing in the sun. I'm okay with the heat as long as there are pies and rivers involved. 

1 comment:

  1. the jars look so cute! i love putting my bulk stuff in jars too, but mine don't match!
    and i love gnocchi! i would never have even thought to make it from scratch though! mmmm i want some now!
    also, i WISH it was going to be mid eighties here! it has been up to 109 in the past week here in tennessee! it makes me want to never go outside again!

    ReplyDelete