Sunday, June 10, 2012

Blackberry Pie


Today was the kind of day where I wanted to make oatmeal and eat it on the porch. So that's what I did. Of course oatmeal only tastes good to me when it's smothered in peanut butter and cinnamon, so I did that, too. It was nice and warm so instead of doing work on my finals, I spent a lot of my time making blackberry pie.


Before I even got to the pie, I was distracted with the wonders of spring! Our tomato plant on the roof has officially gone crazy. It is growing well out of the confines of our five gallon bucket. And today I spotted our first little tomato. There are about three or four, but this was the biggest. That means Paul and I are just counting down the days until we can top every meal with a nice tiny tomato.


More good news is that our hanging strawberry basket is actually sprouting chunky little strawberries! Also I've seen this bird a lot recently outside our bathroom window. Sometimes I open the window and whistle at him or say things like "Bird! We're friends! Be my friend!" But he keeps coming back. So I'm assuming we're friends.


Today I also documented the laundry line that Paul installed in our room. When we don't feel like lugging bags of laundry several blocks away to the expensive laundromat, we do our laundry by hand in the bathtub. It certainly makes me appreciate the good old days because it's a lot of scrubbing and a lot of twisting and rinsing and my forearms hurt like crazy afterwards. But on a nice sunny day, the clothes dry within 24 hours, and I think it's fairly cute to have a line of all my shirts and pajama pants running across my room.


After all of that I finally got around to making the pie. I decided to make blackberry cheesecake with a sour cream layer on top. I cut the first piece on the table, knowing full well that the plate I had was on the stove. Instead of getting the plate before I cut the slice, I cut the slice, balanced it on the knife, and then ran it to the stove to get it on the plate. I dropped it. It slid all the way down the oven. It was very sad. Fortunately it was only one piece so I grabbed the plate, brought it to the table, and cut another slice. That second piece actually turned out pretty good.




2 comments:

  1. all the delicious-looking food you make inspires me to cook more - and especially try new things. i wish we had a bathtub to wash our laundry in - the laundromat adds up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house has an old claw foot bathtub; it's so cute! Cooking weird things has made me oddly confident, actually. It's fun to whip up new ideas and try them, just to see if they turn out. For example, beet cupcakes with peanut butter frosting, weird and good, and I would have never known unless I tried it!

      Delete