Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rhubarb and Spring


It's officially spring here in Eugene. Today it hit eighty degrees which meant it was the perfect time for a little adventure. There's a sand volleyball court on campus and I pretended that it was a beach for a little while and then my feet got too toasty and I had to take a break in the grass. Then it was off to the farmer's market where we got veggies for the week and a little basil plant that I named Julia Child. I love Julia Child. She is happiness embodied. I'm reading her autobiography right now about her years in Paris and it is so delightful. She makes me want to put brie and cream sauce on everything.


We got some rhubarb at the farmer's market and I made my Auntie Robin's rhubarb crumb cake when we got home. It was quite the delicious process. You put some cake batter down, you spread some rhubarb, you put some more cake batter down, and then you dollop these big chunks of shortbread-like dough on top. It was divine. As Julia Child would say, it was a revelation! 


I also thought I'd share this silly little bird painting I did recently for our dining room. The room is such a lovely spring green and I thought a bunch of birds would add a nice touch. When my friends see it they will probably laugh at me because I like to add birds to everything. My poetry classmates have forbidden me from mentioning birds and other adorable creatures in my poems because I do all the time and I'm just a crazy person who likes animals too much. As Portlandia would say, put a bird on it! 

4 comments:

  1. i love "my life in paris"! i have read it a few times. i wish the movie julie and julia has JUST been about Julia Child. Hmmm, i might pull that book out and read it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the loveliest lady. She is so funny; I love watching The French Chef and seeing her add butter to everything. I agree about Julie and Julia, you just can't beat Julia Child's story and I kept wanting it to go back and focus on France.

      Delete
  2. I've been seriously trying to create something with Rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so tart and sweet and perfect! I want to make rhubarb and strawberry pie as soon as possible!

      Delete