Sunday, May 27, 2012

Challah and Sasquatch


One of my favorite meals in the whole world is a challah roll with creamy tomato soup from Barry's, my favorite Jewish deli. Today I decided that I might as well try to make it myself, and I didn't do too shabby. The soup wasn't anything like Barry's soup, but delicious in its own right. The challah roll was incredibly fun to make and I couldn't follow the directions on how to braid it with six pieces, so I improvised and it turned out pretty! Putting an egg wash on the outside made everything golden and crispy. I will try this again because I didn't let the yeast sit long enough so the bread is a little denser than I'd like, but it's nothing I can't fix in the future. I am pretty proud that I did it though, and it's still super tasty. I can't believe that a little over a year ago Paul and I moved in together and I could barely boil water.


This Memorial Day weekend has been nice and long, perfect for watching food documentaries and organizing the cupboards. Last year at this time we were all moved in and finishing our first year of college. Two years ago on this weekend Paul and I were at Sasquatch Music Festival! It was one of the best experiences of my life. I can't believe that it's been a whole two years since that time. Paul and I had officially started dating after months of courtship and letter writing. It was our first real outing, and it was stellar. It would be fun to go to Sasquatch every year, just for the experience, but it's really expensive and I'm a poor college student. Also, to be honest, I haven't been that interested in many of the bands since the year I went. I got to see Mumford and Sons, Laura Marling, Avi Buffalo, Vampire Weekend, Tegan and Sara, MGMT, Band of Horses, She & Him, Passion Pit, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. The past two years I couldn't even name three bands I would want to see, so I'm a pretty lucky gal to have gone when I did. I'm a pretty lucky gal in general. I get to live with my best friend and make him challah bread whenever I want.  

No comments:

Post a Comment